Atletico Madrid vs Real Madrid Prediction and Betting Tip

El Derbi Madrileño or The Madrid Derby between Atletico Madrid and Real Madrid will take place on February 9th at Wanda Metropolitano, the home of Atletico Madrid. If you are looking for predictions for the weekend’s football betting you are at the right place.

Antoine Griezmann of Atletico de Madrid

Atletico Madrid

Atletico Madrid are coming into this match after being defeated against Betis on February 3rd, which was their first defeat since October 24th in all competitions. Looking solely at their LaLiga performances, Atletico Madrid have not lost a match since September 1st, when they were bested by Celta Vigo (2:0), which translates to an 18 games unbeaten run. At the moment Atletico Madrid are 2nd in the LaLiga with an overall record of 12-8-2 and 3-1-1 in their last 5 games.

Looking at the match against Betis, Atletico Madrid were unlucky with their attempts. In the 90 minutes, Atletico only managed to shoot the ball towards the Betis goal once, while having 45% ball possession and 13 goal attempts. On the other side, Betis were not impressive either with 7 goal attempts, 3 shots on goal and 55% ball possession. While neither of the teams really threatened the opposition goal, Betis were awarded a penalty in the 65th minute, which they used to its full potential and scored a goal, which was also the only goal we saw in the match.

With a disappointing result against Betis, Atletico Madrid will look to bounce back with a win against Real Madrid at home stadium, where they have not lost a match since August 11th 2018, when Atletico Madrid lost to inter (0:1).

Real Madrid

Real Madrid are currently sitting at the 3rd spot in LaLiga with an overall record of 13-3-6 and 4-0-1 record in their last 5 games. They will come into this match after a draw against Barcelona in Copa del Rey on February 6th (1:1), which was the first match they failed to win since January 16th when they fell to Leganes in Copa del Rey (1:0).  With 42 points in the league, Real Madrid are only 2 points behind Atletico Madrid, so a win on February 9th would see them passing their rivals and coming closer to the league leaders Barcelona.

The match against Barcelona was a close one as it was expected, although Barcelona were considered favourites due to home advantage and of course a high win (5:1) in their most recent H2H match on October 28th 2018. The match saw Barcelona with more ball possession (57%), 11 goal attempts and 3 shots on goal. Real Madrid on the other side had 43% ball possession, 11 goal attempts and 2 shots on goal. The opener was scored only 6 minutes into the match when Benzema found Lucas in front of the Barcelona goal, who managed to convert a great chance into a goal. That was the only goal we saw in the 1st half, as Barcelona seemed powerless with only 4 goal attempts and 1 shot on goal. The 2nd half, however, was when Barcelona woke up. With 59% ball possession and 7 goal attempts, they managed to shot the ball towards Real Madrid goal twice, with one shot successfully ending in the back of the Real Madrid’s net. With Barcelona goal in 57th minute, the match was levelled at 1:1. The result held on for the remainder of the match, which meant the teams had to settle with a draw.

Team News

Atletico Madrid will come into this match without Costa and Savic, while Koke and Godin are both still questionable. On the other side, Real Madrid will only miss Vallejo.

Atletico Madrid vs Real Madrid H2H

In the last 5 H2H matches between Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid, Atletico Madrid comes out as a better team, they won twice, while 3 matches ended in a draw. The most recent between Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid was played at Estadio Santiago Bernabéu on September 29th 2018, when we did not see a winner. The match ended without a goal despite obvious dominance from Real Madrid, who held the ball for 66% of the time, had 15 goal attempts and 6 shots on goal, while Atletico Madrid only had 34% ball possession, 8 goal attempts and 3 shots on goal. This time, I can hardly imagine such a dominant performance from Real Madrid, who needs to prepare themselves for a Champions League match against Ajax on February 13th. Atletico Madrid did lose a match against Betis, but I don’t believe that proves anything and they are still a strong team more than capable of defeating Real Madrid. Historically these two teams play close matches and while I do believe Atletico Madrid has a slight edge, we will go for AH bet of Atletico Madrid +0, as this match can easily end in a draw.

Atletico Madrid vs Real Madrid PREDICTION:

Atletico Madrid +0.00 Asian Handicap @1.69

Related posts